Wednesday, November 10, 2004

2004 WHITBREAD BOOK AWARDS SHORTLISTS

2004 Whitbread Novel Award shortlist
Kate Atkinson Case Histories Doubleday
Louis de Bernières Birds Without Wings Secker and Warburg
Alan Hollinghurst The Line of Beauty Picador
Andrea Levy Small Island Headline

2004 Whitbread First Novel Award shortlist
Susanna Clarke Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell Bloomsbury
Richard Collins The Land as Viewed from the Sea Seren Books
Susan Fletcher Eve Green Fourth Estate
Panos Karnezis The Maze Jonathan Cape

Of these, I've read the Atkinson, am presently reading the Clarke, and lucked upon the de Bernieres in the used bookstore a few weeks back--haven't decided whether I'll read it or Barry Unsworth's The Rage of the Vulture first. I've checked out the Karnezis, but returned it unread. The Hollinghurst is "being processed" and I'm sure I'll check it out sooner or later. The others I've heard nothing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...