Sunday, May 15, 2005

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson

Case Histories has been chosen by the LitBlog Co-op as its first Read This! selection and I'm happy to hear Kate Atkinson herself is expected to make an appearance on the blog in the coming weeks.

I've mentioned Atkinson several times because she's a favorite of mine and Case Histories made my year's best list last December. Here's what I had to say about it in November:

I swear I would be a fan of mysteries if they were all as wonderful as Kate Atkinson's Case Histories. Of course, Case Histories is as much an Anne Tyler novel as it is a mystery, or, I should say, what an Anne Tyler novel would be like if her characters had experienced sexual abuse. Interesting characters who develop. Interiority. Non-chronological placement of plot revelations instead of Evanovich's tired stupid trick of letting the bad guy spill his guts--onto tape, no less--right before he unsuccessfully attempts to kill the heroine.

Case Histories is one I'll reread. And when I do, I'll have the background music on hand: Jackson Brodie and I have identical (and impeccable) taste in music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...