Monday, May 16, 2005

Two memes

I've seen this first one at both Shelly's and A Work in Progress, I believe.

How do you find books to read? Reviews? Recommendations? Favorite Authors? Other?

These days I hear about most books first from the threads at Readerville. Otherwise, blogs, reviews, friends, browsing . . . .


Where do you get your books? Independent bookstores? Chain stores? Online? Library?

All of the above. Amazon, Barnes and Noble, a wonderful used bookstore in town called Book Buyers are where I get most of the books I purchase, though I'm waiting for an order from bookcloseouts.com right now.

When? Or more accurately, how often? How many books on average do you get or buy each month?

Daily, maybe? I have close to 50 books checked out from the university library right now; I can't check out any more from the public library until I go in and pay off my late fees.

~~~~~~~

I saw this one first at Mental Multivitamin and have since come across it at Musings of a Middle Aged Woman:

1. Name the first five lines of Shakespeare that come into your head.

Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look; he thinks too much, such men are dangerous.

Oh brave new world that has such people in it.
'Tis new to thee.

Double double toil and trouble
Fire burn and cauldron bubble

Oh Hamlet! What a falling off was there.

It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing

2. The last Shakespeare play you went to see on stage

A Chickspeare version of Julius Caesar

3. The last Shakespeare film homage or adaptation you watched at home or at the movies.

The Tempest
, I think.

4. What Shakespeare homage/adaptation/plays are on your to be read/seen list?

Next up to (re)read with S. are Macbeth and King Lear. For me, since I haven't read it yet: Troilus and Cressida

And also Stephen Greenblatt's Will in the World

5. Name a favorite Shakespeare-inspired work.

Iris Murdoch's The Sea, the Sea (several allusions to The Tempest).

No comments:

Post a Comment

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...