Saturday, February 04, 2006

If you read Ed Champion's 75 Book Challenge, you probably followed his links and read Tayari Jones' suggested guidelines. Sherry at Semicolon applied these guidelines to her reading from last year and I thought I'd do the same. (Because otherwise I have to go to the gym.)

TWO BOOKS by international authors, written in English, NOT set in the U.S.A.

Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel
Everything You Need by A.L. Kennedy

ONE BOOK that is translated into English

More than one read. First two that come to mind: Bohumil Hrabal's Closely Observed Trains and Ivan Turgenev's Fathers and Sons

THREE BOOKS from small presses

From Bear Manor Press: Alias Smith and Jones: The Story of Two Pretty Good Bad Men by Sandra K. Sagala and JoAnne M. Bagwell
From Free Press: Frankland by James Wharton
and if McSweeney's counts: The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby

TWO BOOKS of non-fiction (excluding memoir)

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
Love and Hate in Jamestown by David A. Price

ONE Over-hyped book by an author whose success I resent

None.

TWO of the "classics" that I never got around to reading

Antigone by Sophocles
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

ONE BOOK that receives a TERRIBLE review in a major publication

I think I read a lot of books in this category. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova is the first that comes to mind.

TWO BOOKS of poetry by people I don't know.

Jack and Other New Poems by Maxine Kumin
The Casting of Bells by Jaroslav Seifert

ONE avant-garde or experimental title.

Umm, would Ali Smith's The Accidental work here? I'm thinking about Michael's poetry in particular: "Cat urine everywhere became sublime!"

TWO short-story collections

More than two. First two that come to mind: George Saunders' CivilWarLand in Bad Decline and Runaway by Alice Munro

ONE novel set at least two-hundred years ago

No novels, but I did read The Odyssey and Ben Franklin and the history books mentioned above.

ONE novel set at least two-hundred years in the future

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller and the final part (I'm assuming) of Michael Cunningham's Specimen Days

ONE novel written at least two-hundred years ago

Don Quixote!

TWO plays

As You Like It by William Shakespeare
The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee

ONE offering by the most recent Nobel Laureate

Nope.

ONE Young Adult Novel

The latest Harry Potter

ONE book on craft.

Nope. Haven't read one in a good three years.

And I think I followed all of Ed's suggestions as well, although I should have read more books by women than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...