Thursday, March 12, 2009

Movie Potential

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What book do you think should be made into a movie? And do you have any suggestions for the producers?

Or, What book do you think should NEVER be made into a movie?

Some of the best movies come from short stories--Breakfast at Tiffany's, Brokeback Mountain--but of course my mind went totally blank when I tried to think of other stories that would work well on the screen. Maybe I'll think of a few later in the day.

Novels that I would like to see on the screen:

James Meek's The People's Act of Love (I just checked and there is going to be a movie made of this. Hurray!)

James Howard Kunstler's World Made By Hand

Rebecca West's The Fountain Overflows

Julia Leigh's Disquiet needs to be made by someone who can channel Hitchcock

Gerard Donovan's Julius Winsome

And hands down, I would most like the people that made a miniseries out of David McCullough's John Adams to give the same treatment to Ron Chernow's Alexander Hamilton.


Booking Through Thursday

8 comments:

  1. I LOVED Julius Winsome, and I could certainly see that one as a movie.

    I could also see Snow Flower and the Secret Fan; Lisa See as a movie. Loved that story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see a Hitchcock-style film! I selected yet another title. Here's my response:

    http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2009/03/booking-through-thursday-movie.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd better read The People's Act of Love before the movie comes out. I always like to read the book first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:17 PM

    Rebeccat West is a favorite author of mine. I like her beautiful and lush prose and her detailed characterization. I read The Birds Fall Down and The Fountain Overflows would be next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think more and more books will become television series instead of movies. The movies seem devoted to comic books and graphic novels these days. A good long novel needs more than two hours screen time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if Why I Live at the P.O. would make a good movie, kind of along the lines of Cold Comfort Farm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What Jeanne said...

    Also, I'd like to see A Prologue To Love made into a movie, and I'd like to see Endless Love remade to reflect more of the tone of the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A recent novel that, as I read it, I continually thought, "This will surely be a movie... this would be an EXCELLENT movie!" [as was his House of Sand and Fog] is the latest novel from Andre Dubus III.
    The Garden of Last Days.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...