Thursday, August 05, 2010

See you in September


Folks, I know I kind of regularly disappear from these parts without saying much of anything to you, but I always feel bad about it and wind up spending much of my time dealing with the guilt of being such a terrible blogger to behave in such a way, so this one time I want to be upfront about it: I won't be posting this month, but I expect to be back, better for the time away, by Labor Day. Well, maybe I'll get my belated post up for the Slaves discussion of Manservant and Maidservant before then, but all the other reviews I'm inclined to write aren't going to get done till then unless I become a totally different person. Doubtful.

But before I go (to work, and then to the gym--memo to self: Go. to. the. gym), a thank you to Kathleen at Frisbee: A Book Journal for Molly Keane's Queen Lear. It looks great and I am looking forward to reading it!

And why the waterfall picture above? It was taken in western North Carolina a few years back when we went to a Dwight Yoakam concert at WCU and I am spending my reading time this week in Appalachia via the short stories of Ron Rash (who teaches at WCU and mentions Dwight --and my other fav, Steve Earle--in one of his stories) and Pinckney Benedict (whose strange stories are giving me weird dreams that I'm grateful every morning not to remember in any detail). And I've just started Mary Lee Settle's Know Nothing, which is as Southern as they come, so there you go. I like to think about higher elevations and white water when it's as hot and humid as it's been all summer long.

See you back here in a few.

5 comments:

  1. Enjoy your time off Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:31 PM

    I'm so glad you got the book. Have a good vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about hot and humid! Come back all refreshed. Have a good time. That pic of the waterfall feels so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hasn't this summer been miserable. I would be happy being Under that waterfall. Hope you're having a good break!

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...